Friday, April 13, 2007

New WEP cracking record

60 seconds to crack WEP of a wireless network (read article here)! I remember back in 2005 when I've heard about WEP cracking for the first time when FBI's agents publicly demonstrated the cracking process. They broke the protection in 3 minutes by sniffing RF packets for long enough to be able to decode the key. Now, 60 seconds is an improvement!

That's another reminder to be aware of vulnerabilities of WiFi. And as one of the reasons, unless situation really requires it, I am trying to stay away from enabling my wireless network. I keep it disabled almost all of the time unless someone with a laptop comes to my place and specifically asks for access. The main reason is to prevent some sneaky grandfathers who live in my building from breaking into my network. ---> see pic on the right.

FBI demo: read it on Slashdot
I think they've used Air Snort or some other tool or a combination of them, I cannot recall now.

No comments: