Monday, January 21, 2008

Adding a Mic jack to iTouch phone - use with VoIP!

I just got a 16Gig iTouch as a gift and almost immediately went to search for hardware hacks for it. To my pleasant surprise, iTouch has a microphone circuitry inside allowing one to activate it! The guys at www.touchmods.net created an iTouch USB to mic converter and a software that can be installed on the jailbroken gadget to allow the happy owners to make VoIP calls.

VoIP call demo from touchmods
Freeappleipodtouch.com's tutorial link

There's another cool hack that allows using Motorola bluetooth headset with iTouch: link

These are the great hacks! I needed the voice recording capability and it looks as it's possible without the need for the second device!

Good job, the Touchmods team!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey,

Have you tried either of them yet yourself? I was wondering what the difference is between the touchmods mic and this one here:

http://www.blueraven.com/us/Item/ItemDetails.aspx?POEPartNo=60829

Victor G. Lesau said...

I haven't tried it myself yet. Interesting. Let's try asking on the touchmods.

Unknown said...

Is there anyway you can elaborate on the "iTouch USB to mic converter" comment? I looked on the site pretty intensely and only could find info on adding a mic to the iTouch. How do you get the internal mic to work?

thanks

Victor G. Lesau said...

Hey Mercury,

Eventually I bought an iPhone and never found time to play with the iTouch. As far as I remember the first mod was to solder a few mic wires to iTouch's PCB. The second mod was an attachable adapter with a mic jack that one could simply plug into the regular port at the bottom. They even manufactured it later on.